Thursday, October 11, 2012

Return of the Joodi

When God created the world, it created Adam and Eve.
When I contemplated if I should stay in his holy (but not only) land, I decided to A'dam I'll leave.
After 2 short weeks in Israel, I laid about doing nothing for a week of rest from my vacation of living on holiday-mode.
In Israel most my friends have daily life, and it was hard to give up my holidaily life for that. Not yet.

Doing nothing doesn't mean "La Dolce Far Niente" since Niente won't taka ya too far. I DO wish to have a job. But I also wish to make something out of the time spent while not having one.
At the age of 18 till 19 I did not do anything. Now I don't do much more, but there's more to write about.
That'd be another form of admitting - Wha I do have is enough time to practice writing.


Amsterdam. Automn.

How does one portrays in words the taste of the air here?
Green trees spreading out their yellow leaves on the vermilion bricked roads composing the grey gloomy town.
The air is a fresh soundtrack to the classic Euro-scenery. If the air we live in is the water fish dwell in, this sea (or aquarium) is well kept. Clear, opened, and lucid enough to see the bottom of it.

Wednesday I went to Diemen, the neighboring town, my municipality and home to Marella, my non-biological auntie here. Riding my bicycle back to A'dam I meant to stop in a lovely park I once explored. This time I ended up in a Cemetery (as my sense of orientation, much like my sense of humor, is occasionally senseless). Inside I spotted creative tombstones. A stone shaped as an electric guitar; A tomb covered with a coat of AJAX and a statuette of an Ajax player placed on the grave; Another grave hosted a statuette of a clown playing an accordion; On one tombstone an engraving of a man with bicycle and angels. Rest in creative peace.

Thursday morning, a scheduled appointment to see a room in the house of a Jewish family (I am a well sponsored homeless, writing this post at the bath of a friend, but still a homeless). I arrived a little after 10am, his wife (an Israeli woman) immediately asked me about income and money to pay rent. It seemed she's more concerned for that before getting to know me at all. Then the husband I came for was too busy going to the University, and still shaken of what's going on in that vibrant family house in the morning, the wife goes to the supermarket - I find myself in their house, with pannenkoeken made for the child. Even the maid was only there first time and was'nt supposed to be left alone already. The husband, with whom I wanted to speak about potential connections to help me get a job, is too occupied and then too out to converse with me. Should I stay or should I go ?
I decide since that woman was crazy enough to leave me at her house with the kids, it's gonna be a crazy day if I wait for her, and indeed it was wild. We took her kids to the school, then went to a few shops of jews (they used to be marked with a yellow Magen-David in the past, nowadays they sign with a blue כשר Kosher. Merely a cosmetic change). Then, after meeting some contacts, she shows me around in her tiny car she called a motorbike. It's like a Smart car, only smarter. We stop at some point near the Amstel river. I never knew the Amstel had such beautiful sides to it. She feeds the ducks and meerkoeten (the ugly bastard nephew of the ugly duckling). The sun sprinkled on the calm river water. Gezellig!
Cycling back home I made a small stop to enjoy some urban sacred tune of a square musician at Leidseplein. These musicians and artists are as significant in the city as its old buildings' ornaments integrated into their architecture.

Amsterdam, round 2. Still no job, but I am alive, as DuDe as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment